CBD for Dummies
With the recent legalization of cannabis in Canada, CBD is a hot topic. The cannabinoid has gained widespread attention for its potential applications and therapeutic benefits. If you’ve ever googled CBD before, then you know there’s a lot of information out there, and it can be difficult to sort fact from fiction. To help you better understand CBD, how it works and how it might apply to your life, we’ve put together a basic guide on the topic!
What is CBD?
CBD or cannabidiol is one of approximately 113 active chemical compounds called cannabinoids that can be found in cannabis. CBD is one of the most dominant compounds in cannabis along with its counterpart, THC or tetrahydrocannabinol. CBD is non-psychoactive, but instead offers all sorts of therapeutic benefits like pain relief.
How does CBD work?
Cannabinoids are made up of 21-carbon molecules, and they either block or stimulate endocannabinoid receptors in the body. CBD binds very weakly or not at all to these receptors, but instead interacts with them indirectly in a process called modulation. Through modulation, CBD boosts the levels of the body’s naturally-occurring cannabinoids called endocannabinoids. CBD’s therapeutic effects come from this ability to affect a wide range of receptors throughout the body.
What does it do?
First off, CBD has many inherent medicinal properties like being an anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiolytic agent. What this means is it provides natural pain and anxiety relief. In addition, the influx of endocannabinoids caused by CBD’s interactions with receptors throughout the body combats the effects of cortisol — in other words, stress. At the end of the day, CBD is an excellent tool to relieve tension and just relax a little.
How can I use it?
Today, there are more CBD products on the market than ever before including:
- CBD oil – The most common way to take CBD is to swallow it in the form of an oil. CBD oil typically comes with an oral applicator that you can use to squeeze a dosage onto a spoon and swallow or absorb by applying a few drops under the tongue.
- Chewing gum – There is CBD infused chewing gum on the market, and you use it just like you would regular chewing gum!
- Beverages – You can blend CBD into beverages to create a drinkable form of the cannabinoid.
- Ointment – Some CBD products come in an ointment or lotion and can be applied topically. These products are typically for athletes seeking natural pain relief.
- Vaping – This way of using CBD has become especially popular in recent years, as it provides a healthier alternative to traditional smoking. With vaping, you use a vape device to inhale vapor containing CBD. Not only is this the easiest way to use CBD, you also feel the effects of the cannabinoid faster. Vaping allows CBD to enter the lungs and diffuse into the bloodstream directly, whereas with oral consumption, CBD has to go through the digestive system and reach the liver which takes a lot longer. This also means that you can feel the same effects of CBD with a smaller amount compared to other methods of consumption.
At VanGo, we’re all for tapping into the incredible health benefits of CBD. Today, CBD products are being created that not only relieve pain and anxiety, but also combat cancer, treat seizures, reduce diabetes, improve cardiovascular health and, even, minimize acne.
We’re also excited about the possibility of CBD enhanced flavors for vaping. We’re all about providing an amazing flavor experience to our customers which we call flaving, and combining flaving with CBD seems like a natural next step.
If you enjoyed this article and would like to get regular updates from VanGo on flavors, the industry and more, sign up for our newsletter below!